Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rollercoaster of emotions

So here's the big news- I went back to work full time. Yeah, I know, I know...I don't want to hear any grief about it. It wasn't my choice of things to do. It kinda sucks. So now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you about my new job.
I'm teaching a 3rd and 4th grade SEI class. (SEI is the new way to say ELL or English Language Learners). I've been told a few times that "at least I have a small class"- I have 17 kids. Which by Arizona standards is a small class since the other classes have 28 or so kids in them. But to me, coming from 2nd grade in California, where the max number of kids is 20, this is a normal sized class.
The teacher that was supposed to teach this class retired or moved to a new school (I've heard both stories) right before the start of school, so they have had a substitute in there for 1 1/2 weeks until I came. School started on the 11th of August, I was hired on the 15th (Friday) and they wanted me to start on the 18th (Monday). Umm, I need to find someone to watch the kids!!!! (More on that later...) I told them I would try my best to start on the 21st (Thursday), which I did.
Here's more about how my class was formed:
Arizona passed a law that all the ELL students had to be grouped in the same class. I am supposed to teach them English (grammar, reading, writing) for 4 hours a day and math for 1 hour. That's it. So, that's kinda cool because I don't have to worry about Science or Social Studies, but since this is a new thing, no one really knows what to do. Then, I have both 3rd and 4th graders (the only combo class at the school) and then I'm starting late. And of course, I missed new teacher training which is the week before the returning teachers come to school, but don't worry, I was told I can go next summer before the next school year starts. WHAT?!?!?! How is new teacher training going to help me in a year from now?! Who's going to help me now? And yes, luckily I've been a teacher before so I know something about what I am supposed to be doing, but I'm teaching in a new state (so new state standards), a new district and new school (that both have different rules and expectations then my previous school and district), I'm teaching a grade level I've never taught before to a whole class of ELL students, without much guidance, not knowing what textbooks to use (3rd or 4th? Do I teach the grades separate? I can't use 3rd grade text because the 4th graders have already done it and I can't use 4th grade text because then what will the 3rd graders do next year?) and different people I talk to giving me different answers or not know the answer..... AARRRRHHHHHHGGGG!!!!
But the teachers and staff have been very nice and as helpful as they can be (I'm referring again to then fact that this is all new, so some things they don't know the answer to!) The principal is very nice and has told me that she doesn't expect things to be up and running already, to not worry so much, just get to know the kids and build a sense of community, and that they are just happy that I'm there! So that is all very good to hear.
But to top it all off, I am now having to say good bye to my kids every morning to go to work, leaving them with a temporary nanny until I can find a permanent one. It's just been a lot of fun over here :)
And speaking of nannies, what we really decided to do was to get an au pair (which for those of you that don't know is a live in nanny from another country). So we have been trying to figure out that process, find someone quick--but not too quick since they will be watching our kids, living with us, and staying for a whole year--find someone we like who likes us and will be a good match for our family. And geez, I guess I didn't think about the fact that some people might be turned off by the idea of being responsible for watching 2 1/2 year old triplets. What?! You don't want to watch 3 toddlers? :)
But the good news--I know you are ready for some good news by now-WE FOUND SOMEONE!!! She is a 18 year old girl from Sweden. She seems really nice and the idea of toddler triplets did not make her run the other way and scream. She's hired! :) She is set to come on September 19th. And will be with us for a year. We are excited, it seems like a good fit for our situation. Having an au pair instead of a nanny gives us flexibility with the hours we use her, plus we are hoping to have her become a part of our family and build a close bond with our kids.

Overall, I think I will like teaching this class, I just wish I had like 2 weeks to go through materials and set up my classroom...but we are just chug-chugging along....we'll get there...

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, what a crazy month! It seems like everything is working out for the best though and it's a perfect fit for your situation. My cousin's family had an au pair from Sweden and she became like a second daughter. They are still very close even though my cousin is now in her 20s! In fact, funny story: One Christmas Day, we were all sitting around playing Twenty Questions. The question came up: "What was your first job?" And Kia (the au pair) answered, "Well, this is my first job!" My cousin (13 at the time) was utterly shocked and said "You mean you get PAID to live with us??!?" LOL! Kia was just a big sister to her.

eden said...

Holy Cow! I'm out of the loop! I guess having a baby has been a little consuming to me. Wow, I had no idea. Are you teaching at the school by your house? It sounds like things are falling into place for you. My Mom works with a girl that just hired an au pair to watch her two boys, and she has been really happy with how things have worked out. Did you get my e-mail? Lets get together.

kay said...

Ok, anybody that can carry, deliver, and tend triplets has to be "Wonderwoman", so a little classroom of 17 English language learners should be a piece of cake. :-} It has been so much fun to watch you and Eden(two of the biggest gigglers in the world) grow up to be such amazing women. Hope it is ok to horn in on your blog.

Stephanie said...

Kay-thanks for the kind words :) And of course it is ok to horn in on my blog!