Sunday, January 4, 2009

Elizabeth's First ER Visit

Let me first start by saying that she is okay. I did not want to hold any one in suspense the entire blog.

It was Friday afternoon and we decided to take the kids to the park around the corner (about half a mile) to play since the weather was nice and to combat the cabin fever.

We all decided to walk since there were 4 adults to 3 kids this time. Mom, Dad, Au Pair-Konstantin, and our dear friend who flew out to see the kids-Kathleen.

So, we are there playing, having a good time, it was getting close to 4:30 and we usually eat around 5 so we tell the kids that we are going to be leaving in about a minute. I walk over to start to make sure that we have everything ready to pack up. I turn around to watch Elizabeth go down a corkscrew slide (mind you it is one that she has gone down alone numerous times before), and she her face plant on the side as she is going down. I am not sure if her foot got caught or what, but all I know is I see Stephanie get her at the bottom of the slide, and then say, "We have blood".

Elizabeth is obviously crying loudly by this point, I walk over and have her look over at me and I see this inch long opening right above her right eye. Let me tell you this thing was bleeding, reminded me of a MMA fighter getting cut open with an elbow. So, as you know we decided to walk so there is not van waiting near by to take her to get looked at, so I take off running to get the van.

After arriving back at the playground with the van, I see Stephanie about to put Elizabeth in the swing to do a little swinging. I get out of the van with this look of, and why are you letting our little girl with a head wound out to play some more? (Stephanie writing here: Elizabeth was in the swing because umm, we have a strong and stubborn girl! Once she finished crying all she wanted to do was go on the swing. She was wriggling her way out of my lap and I thought, well, at least she will be sitting in the swing....carry on with your story....) Stephanie mentions that it has pretty much stopped bleeding and asked what my thoughts were. I said I would be more comfortable if we had someone look at it.

After waiting and then talking with a nurse in the ER, she mentioned that we may be seen quicker if we go over to an Urgent Care. We call one to make sure they do stitches and we head out. We get to the Urgent Care check in and talk with one of the nurses there to make sure they can handle the case. One of the docs come out to look at her wound and mentions liquid stitches (glue), but since he does not use it all the time, he would send out the doc who does. The doc who does use the liquid stitches comes out and says yes she would be able to close it with just the liquid.

Half hour later we get called back, Elizabeth does amazing while they have to clean it and then apply the stitches. All and all it was an ok experience. It was nice to know that Kathleen and Konstantin were at home taking care of our other 2 while Mom and Dad could handle the emergency.

Here is a picture of the after-math:



Like I said at the beginning, she is fine. You wouldn't even know anything had happened to her. Every now and then she will put her finger on the cut and say "owie". We are very happy that everything turned out ok.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh my God! That looks awful, how scary! I'm surprised they were able to just use the liquid stitches, but thank goodness. Do you think she'll have a scar? What a brave girl!

(And I love the Stephanie interjection in the middle of the story. LMAO!)